Wednesday, February 5, 2014

LET THEM BE little.



All too often I find myself trying to figure out how to get Emry on the "perfect" schedule. I try to wake up at the right time, feed her at the right time, put her down for a nap at the right time, and so on and so forth. I do this in hopes that I will find the "perfect" schedule which will make it so she has the "perfect" night. 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep like she used to....Nothing seems to be working and my mind...and body...are exhausted.
When I was talking to a dear friend about what has been going on he said something so true...This time goes by so fast, let her be little for a little while. In the broad scheme of things this time in her life and my life is so small. It will, and is going by so fast. I just need to relax and let her be little. Let her be a 7 month old that refuses baby food at times. Let her be a 7 month old that wants to chew on EVERYTHING. Let her be a 7 month old that is having a hard time sleeping at night. Bottom line: let her be a 7 month old.
Yes, I read things and worry that I am ruining her.... "don't feed your baby at night if she has already begun to sleep through the night"... "don't get your baby out of bed at night if she is crying"..."she needs to learn to self sooth"...etc. Don't get me wrong, books about raising kids are amazing and for the most part it's all true. The more info on child rearing the better you will be.....sometimes. Sometimes I find myself thinking there is something wrong with my parenting or my child if she isn't doing exactly what the books say she should be doing. Bottom line, each kiddo is different. Each one needs different things. So, let them be who they are and figure out what it is they need.
Being a mom is a 24 hour job...break time is nap time...if they decide to nap, and if you count doing the dishes as a break. It's hard, exhausting, unpredictable, and so wonderful. If ever you feel like you are about to lose your mind...sit down, look through pics of your little one, and relive those amazing moments. Let those photos remind you of why you are doing what you are doing. Being a mother is the most important job in this world. No job is more challenging, rewarding, or important...and remember that each day passes quickly so enjoy the moments that are happening right now. Let her be little.
Let Emry be the 7 month old that she is because tomorrow she will be one day closer to 8 months, and like everyone says...she will graduate high school in the blink of an eye. enjoy it. don't think the crap out of...or try to "fix" what the books say is wrong with her. Love her. Hug her. Lay by her. She just needs her mama and one day she won't need me anymore.

little Em...























^ photography by Karl Hugh over at Studio West Photography ^




No comments:

Post a Comment